Monday, June 13, 2011

Miss Minnesota Week - Monday

Yet again, today was a whirlwind of appearances that have me wondering where the time goes!  This morning we visited Gillette Children's Hospital where we had a tour and made cookies with the patients.  I have been to Gillette Children's Hospital many times, but I have never seen it so busy.  So many little ones came out to make cookies with us and I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with emotion and awe of how incredible these children are.  Their bright personalities are a true testimony of what my platform is all about.  No matter what adversity these children may be facing, they don't let anything get in the way of having a positive attitude and fulfilling their dreams.  They are a fine example of how their life experiences with health issues do not hold them back, but rather motivate them to see the opportunity for personal growth and to be a positive influence to others.  I admire the patients at Gillette oh so much and I am pleased that the Miss America Organization is partnered with such a worthy organization.

Yes, Tashayanna ate all those sprinkles!


We have another princess in our midst :-)

After having lunch at Gillette we headed over to the State Capitol where we had a quick tour and the extraordinary opportunity to meet Governor Dayton.  He came out of his office and took the time to shake all of our hands.  It was a honor to have been in his presence and I was really impressed with the way he handled himself.  I correlated how he treated everyone in the room with how I think a local, state and national title holder should impact everyone they meet.  He made the effort to make sure he somehow connected with everyone in the room and left a lasting impression.  I only hope I have that same charisma that he expressed today.  Thank you Governor Dayton for spending time with us, it will never be forgotten.

Speaking with Governor Dayton

Meghan and I feeling powerful in the senator's seats

After the State Capitol we all hopped back into those glorious 15 passenger vans and took several sponsor photos.  We had a little extra time before dinner so we had some much needed "girl talk" at Starbucks :-)

Hanging out at Starbucks

Dinner at Fuddruckers was delicious if I may say so myself!  They had fountain Doctor Pepper which made me extremely happy!  I definately needed a caffeine boost before having rehearsal.  Rehearsal tonight was really productive.  We learned the rest of the introduction number.  It was a lot to take in so I hope we can all pull it together and remember everything tomorrow when we rehearse in the theater!  

Megan and I at rehearsal

Tomorrow we are visiting the Minnesota Zoo!  Pray for good weather because I hear it may rain.  I do have my umbrella just in case though.  After the Zoo we are eating lunch at Chianti restaurant and then heading back to the hotel to basically "move in" to the theater.  We need to have all of our competition wardrobe and anything we need for the theater brought with us tomorrow.  This is going to be quite a task with 21 contestants!  Once we are all moved in we will have rehearsal on the big stage and then eating at Bucca Di Beppo.  

Getting more and more excited with each passing day!

Always,
Bethany Beniek  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment