Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Whole New Year!

Considering the weather was terrible on December 30th I was unable to attend Kathryn's send-off party in Detroit Lakes.  I was so sad that I couldn't attend, but thank goodness there was a second send-off party in Maplewood on January 2nd where the weather was more cooperative!

Let's start with saying Happy New Year! It is now officially 2011 :-) I have so many goals I want to accomplish and I cannot wait to see what this year holds.  On January 1st I started the year off with another National Anthem performance for the girls SCSU division 1 hockey game.  It was so much fun.  I think doing National Anthem performances are a great way of showcasing the talent aspect of the Miss America Organization.  I have had the incredible opportities of performing for the Men's D1 hockey game and then the Timberwolves game and I have just been asked to sing for the Men's Gopher Basketball game on January 26th! I have been so blessed to have been given these opportunities and I am so excited to perform for the Gophers! They are doing very well this season and the Williams Arena holds over 10,000 people and they expect to be sold out. Wow! This is great practice for Miss Minnesota.


On January 2nd I started the morning off with a tour of Gillette Children's Hospital with Bailey, her Mom, and my Mom.  Ever since my fundraiser this past September my Mom and I have been trying to coordinate a time to tour Gillette because she hasn't been there yet.  She was so touched by the stories of Gillette that she simply had to see where the money I raised was going. She instantly fell in love (like most people do when they go there).


In the afternoon many of the other Miss MN contestants came to Gillette to do a fun activity with the children.  Kathryn and I helped Lupe bling out her door knob hanger.  She loved the color pink.  She was wearing a pink zip up, pink sweat pants, her nails were painted pink and let's not forget her pink gems on her brace!  So naturally we put pink glitter on her name tag :-)  She was actually on the News yesterday.  Watch her video clip here, http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/mpls-girl-shot-in-the-neck-now-able-to-tell-story/ and if you watch closely, you can see some of the autograph cards the contestants gave her hung on her hospital door!  Another little girl we all fell in love with was Princess Ashton.  Did I mention she loved pink too?  It is always uplifting to visit the children at Gillette and get to know their stories.  They continue to inspire me and fuel my desire to give back to them.

Ashton and I


After Gillette we all went over to Kathryn's send-off party.  If I could describe Kathryn in one word it would be, WOW! Words cannot describe how incredible her wardrobe is, how talented she is, and how well spoken she is.  If there is anyone ready for the job of Miss America, it's Kathryn Knuttilla.  Kathryn has one of the biggest hearts I know.  She would/will do great things as Miss America.  It's all in God's hands and I cannot wait to see the outcome. 

Andrea, Tyler and his Mom

Kathryn and I

Allison, Lauren and I

All us girls :-)

I am leaving for Vegas this Sunday! I started packing today and I simply can't believe it's already here.  Since I have never been to Miss America I decided to go a couple days early to explore Vegas a bit and then endulge in "Pageant World" once Tuesday comes around (the first night of prelims).  I will be taking tons of photos and will try very hard to update my blog during the week.  Pray for good weather this weekend so my flight leaves on it's scheduled time.

Always,
Bethank Beniek     

ps.  I put my new headshot as the header of my blog.  It's going to be my Miss MN headshot for the program books.  I hope you all like it!

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,
    I'm working on the committee for the ROCORI Royalty pageant which is being held on July 7 in Rockville at the 400 Club. I am looking for several judges for our contest and we prefer having judges that have pageant experience. Would you be interested in judging our contest?
    Please contact me at lynn@coldspringbakery.com

    ReplyDelete